Licensing & Continuing Education Information
- LICENSE RENEWAL DEADLINE FOR BROKERS: November 30, 2023
- LICENSE RENEWAL DEADLINE FOR SALESPEOPLE: May 31, 2023
Continuing Education is due on EVEN years. Effective with your 2024 renewal, per the Department of Consumer Protection, all continuing education must be completed 90-days before license renewal.
The State of CT Department of Consumer Protection’s Real Estate Commission has licensing/continuing education authority, not Tri-County Alliance or Connecticut Association of Realtors. Any questions regarding pre-licensing, licensing or continuing education requirements should be directed to:
Department of Consumer Protection
450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 801, Hartford, CT 06103
Main Telephone: (860) 713-6150 | Toll-Free: (800) 842-2649
TDD: (860) 713-7240 | Fax: (860) 713-7239
For Salespersons and Brokers:
NOTE about PSI TESTING Site information: https://candidate.psiexams.com/
In the upper right corner, the “PSI News” contains updated information on PSI site closures and reopenings.
You can also go to the bottom of the page to “Check Available Appointment Dates Before You Register“.
There are locations in CT and MA where you can take PSI test (West Hartford, Milford, Boston, Springfield, Fall River, Auburn). You may also request an accommodation to take the written examination at any PSI location. In the “What type of accommodation are you requesting?” field is an option for OUT-OF-STATE TEST.
Additional Licensing Information
- Reciprocal Information
- Real Estate Education and Exam Information
- Real Estate Salesperson information
- Real Estate Broker information
- Real Estate Legal Entities information
- Application for Retiree Status License
- Application for Restoration from Retiree Status
- View Connecticut Real Estate Laws and Regulations.
- For additional information visit the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection.
State of CT Continuing Education Requirements for Salespersons and Brokers
Every two years, the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection’s Real Estate Commission requires licensees to complete a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education (CE). Continuing Education is due on the even-numbered renewal years and must be completed PRIOR to renewing your license in all even-numbered years. Continuing education must be completed 90 days before the real estate license renewal.
Real estate brokers and salespersons shall take courses consisting of at least twelve (12) classroom hours in each two (2) year continuing education period, including one mandatory course consisting of at least three (3) classroom hours in current real estate and fair housing legislation, licensing laws and regulations.
Find Directions for:
All Continuing Education Certificates MAY be uploaded through the Department of Consumer Protection’s existing e-License System (the same system used for renewals). This process can be completed at any time by Real Estate licensees. There is no charge for this service. Doing this is NOT mandatory, rather an option to help licensees keep track of their own completed CE. Approved Real Estate Schools are still required to submit your completion information to a different vendor which is not accessible for you to review your completed CE.
In Connecticut all licensing questions should be referred directly to the Department of Consumer Protection as they handle licensing.
Am I required to complete CE?
All license holders must complete CE prior to every even-year renewal. You are only exempt if you PASSED A FULL LICENSING EXAM during the CE period. The 2024 CE renewal period for Salespersons is 6/1/22-5/31/24 and for Brokers is TBD.
What if I am a reciprocal license holder?
Connecticut DOES NOT EXEMPT ANYONE from completion of Connecticut specific continuing education. You must complete approved courses via a CT approved school and retain your certificates of completion for a minimum of 4 years. If you have taken CE in your primary state, you can submit the information to DCP for consideration 90-days prior to deadline. Scan and email to email@example.com or fax to 860-706-1317. To be approved, EACH course must be a minimum of 3 hours and be taken during the current CT CE cycle. There is NO equivalency credit toward the mandatory course(s).
What if I am a referral only agent?
All license holders must complete CE. Choosing to only utilize your license for referrals does NOT exempt you from Connecticut CE requirements.
How to obtain continuing education/pre-licensing education credits:
- Both Salespeople and Brokers are required to fulfill 12 hours of Continuing Education (CE) credit. You can take them in-person or online at your own convenience. Please visit our Calendar for our in-person education classes. We also offer online courses through the CE Shop, or you can View CTR’s online course selections
- Continuing education credit is also available for Designation and Certification Classes. Many local boards offer designation/certification classes. You can also complete them online through NAR. Check our REALTOR® Designations/Certifications page and see what advanced education will assist you in your business.